Al-Zaytouna Centre conducts strategic and futuristic academic studies on the Arab and Muslim worlds. It focuses on the Palestinian issue and the conflict with Israel as well as related Palestinian, Arab, Islamic and international developments.
The Centre strives to raise the local, regional and international awareness about the realities and repercussions of the events in the region, with special reference to the Palestinian issue and the conflict with Israel. It also aims at attracting, qualifying and introducing researchers in west Asian strategic studies. The Centre seeks to establish a wide range database, and classifies it along the most modern scientific and technical methods. In active cooperation with scholars, experts and specialists, the Centre drives to publish scholarly studies. The Centre is also concerned with organizing training courses, conferences, seminars, lectures and brainstorming sessions.
Al-Zaytouna Centre has several departments:
1. Information and archives department.
2. Studies and researches department.
3. Consultations and training department.
4. Translation department.
5. Management and finance department.
6. Public relations and media department.
Mohsen Mohammad Saleh, Ph.D., is an associate professor of Modern and Contemporary Arab History (Palestine Studies), the general manager of al-Zaytouna Centre for Studies and Consultations since 2004, editor-in-chief of the annual Palestinian Strategic Report, former head of Department of History and Civilization at the International Islamic University (IIUM), Malaysia, and former executive manager of Middle East Studies Centre in Amman. He was granted the Bait al-Maqdis (Jerusalem) award for Young Muslims Scholars in 1997 and the Excellent Teaching Award (College level), given by IIUM in 2002.
He is the author of 12 books including: The Islamic Trend in Palestine 1918-1948, The Way to Jerusalem, The Palestinian Issue. The Land of Palestine & its People, Peace Projects Concerning the Palestinian Issue, The Wondering path to the Palestinian State, and some of his books were translated into several languages. He contributed chapters to several books. He is the editor/co-editor of more than 55 books including American Foreign Policy & the Muslim World, Palestinian Strategic Report (7 annual reports, years 2005- 2011), Studies on the Cultural Heritage of Jerusalem, Critical studies on Hamas & its Government, PLO: Evaluating the experience & restructuring, The Palestinian Documents (5 annual volumes, years 2005-2009), The Conditions of the Palestinian Refugees n Lebanon. Dr. Mohsen is the editor of electronic daily “Palestine Today”, which has published more than 2750 issues till Jan. 2013. He has published many articles in refereed scholarly journals and magazines. He has presented papers at innumerable academic local and international conferences and seminars. He is a frequent commentator on current issues on broadcasting media .
Al-Zaytouna’s Board of Consultants
Al-Zaytouna Centre has a Board of Consultants of eminent scholars, thinkers and researchers, whose names are alphabetically listed below:
1. Prof. Dr. ‘Abd al-Wahab al-Masiri*: Thinker and expert in Zionism and Israeli studies.
2. Prof. Dr. ‘Adnan al-Sayyid Hussein: Former Lebanese minister of state, professor of political science at the Lebanese University.
3. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Mubarak al-Khaldi: Former minister of justice, dean, Faculty of Law, An-Najah National University, Palestine.
4. Dr. Amin Mahmud: Former minister of culture, Jordan, former president of Amman Private University.
5. Dr. Anis al-Sayegh*: Expert in Palestinian studies, Former director of PLO Research Centre.
6. Prof. Dr. Bayan Nuwaihid al-Hout: Expert in modern Palestinian history.
7. Prof. Dr. Hassan Ahmad Ibrahim: Expert in African and Middle Eastern history.
8. Prof. Dr. ‘Imad al-Din Khalil: Thinker and historian.
9. Prof. Dr. Ishaq al-Farhan: Former minister of education, former president of the Jordanian University, former president of Zarqa University.
10. Prof. Dr. Kamalin Shaath: President of the Islamic University of Gaza.
11. Dr. Mahmud al-Mubarak: Expert in international law, King Faisal University, KSA.
12. Prof. Dr. Mohammad ‘Amarah: Thinker and historian.
13. Prof. Dr. Mohammad ‘Issa Salhieh*: Expert in Islamic and Arab history.
14. Prof. Dr. Mohammad al-Musfir: Professor of political science, Qatar University.
15. Prof. Dr. Mona Haddad Yakan*: President of Jinan University, Lebanon.
16. Mr. Mounir Shafiq: Thinker and former director of the PLO Planning Bureau.
17. Prof. Dr. ‘Omar al-Ashqar*: Former dean, Faculty of Islamic Studies, Zarqa University, Jordan.
18. Mr. Salah ‘Abd al-Maqsoud: Director of Arab Media Centre, vice syndic of Egyptian journalists.
19. Dr. Salahuddin al-Dabbagh: Expert in law, member of the Palestine National Council of the PLO.
20. Dr. Tareq al-Suwaidan: Thinker, management expert, general manager of al-Resalah Channel.
* Passed away.
The Centre’s General Policies
1. Al-Zaytouna Centre is an independent and non-governmental scientific center that is not affiliated to any party or group.
2. Studies and consultations are conducted solely to serve knowledge, truth and consolidate the legitimate rights of the people of the region.
3. Academic objectivity, accuracy of information and qualitative research will be strictly observed and pursued.
4. Collaboration and integration with similar centers and institutions is a priority for the Centre.
5. Openness to all ideas and new intellectual and political trends is a prime concern of the Centre.
6. The Centre does not accept any preconditioned funds that may adversely affect its mission and objectives.
The Centre’s Activities and Services
1. Data and archival material.
2. Researches and studies.
3. Office and field consultancies.
4. Training and qualifying.
5. Conferences, seminars and lectures.
7. Specialized translations.
8. “Palestine Today” electronic daily newsletter.
9. Strategic Assessments.
Among the Centre’s Achievements
1. The Centre publishes the periodic Palestinian Strategic Report in both English and Arabic languages, since 2005. A volume of about 350 pages that discusses the developments of the Palestinian issue in an objective and comprehensive manner. The meticulous analytical reading of events tries also to foresee the future. It covers the internal Palestinian situation, the Israeli scene and the Arab, Muslim and international stances toward the Palestinian issue.
2. The Centre publishes the annual Palestinian Documents, since 2005. A volume of about 900 pages including a wide range of Palestinian documents, beside many related Arabic, Islamic and international documents.
3. The Centre is the publisher of Information Report series, which is a collection of concise academic studies (booklets) focusing on the Palestinian issue.
4. The Centre publishes Am I Not A Human? series, which highlights the different aspects of the suffering of the Palestinian people.
5. The Centre is the publisher of the Arabic daily electronic newsletter “Palestine Today,” that comprises the major news, stances and statements concerning the Palestinian issue, since May 2005.
6. The Centre has issued tens of specialized books that strictly observe high academic and qualitative standards.
7. The Centre has an active website in both English and Arabic languages. It has one of the higher numbers of hits among the websites of research centers that are specialized in the Palestinian issue.
8. The Centre holds periodic international conferences, panel discussions and brainstorming sessions on the Palestinian issue and the Arab-Israeli conflict. They have attracted wide interest of researchers, and received vast media coverage.